News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
Special Education Chief to Leave Department
John H. Hager, the assistant secretary overseeing the Department of Education’s office of special education and rehabilitative services, has resigned from his post, effective Aug. 1, to become the chairman of the Virginia Republican State Central Committee.
A former lieutenant governor of Virginia, Mr. Hager will serve the unexpired term of Edward W. Gillespie. Mr. Gillespie, a former head of the Republican National Committee, resigned to become a counselor to President Bush.
Mr. Hager has served in the Education Department’s top special education position since November 2004.
“We’re especially proud of getting the [Individuals with Disabilities Education Act] regulations out in a more user-friendly fashion,” Mr. Hager said in an interview.
Deputy Secretary of Education Raymond J. Simon will be delegated the authority of running OSERS until a successor to Mr. Hager is nominated and confirmed, the Education Department said.
Vol. 26, Issue 44, Page 21
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL
- Durham Public Schools, Durham, NC
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- K-12 NEA Science Teachers Wanted for NGSS Curriculum Project. Earn $15k!
- BetterLesson, US
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA