News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
‘Intelligent Design’ Supporter to Be NASBE’s President-Elect
Kenneth Willard, a member of the Kansas state school board, has been chosen as president-elect of the National Association of State Boards of Education despite concerns from some in the science education community.
Mr. Willard, who was unopposed, voted with a conservative majority on the Kansas board to include “intelligent design” along with the theory of evolution in the state’s science standards in 2005.
Brenda L. Welburn, the executive director of NASBE, said Mr. Willard “has never tried to insinuate political positions on the organization.” He takes office as president-elect in January.
Vol. 26, Issue 43, Page 21
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Director of Professional Services
- Engaging Schools, Inc., Cambridge, MA
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom