News in Brief: A National Roundup
Teachers College Donation to Fund Scholarships for Urban Teaching
Teachers College, Columbia University, has announced that it will award 50 annual scholarships that will give its graduate students a chance to work in urban schools.
The program, announced June 2, was made possible by a $10 million gift from the estate of Arthur Zenkel. Mr. Zenkel, a real estate investment magnate, was the vice chairman of the college’s board of trustees at the time of his death last summer.
Students must demonstrate financial need and be enrolled in Teachers College’s master’s or doctoral programs to qualify.
Recipients will work about five hours a week in one of the programs the college operates to assist disadvantaged children in New York City schools, providing help such as tutoring students.
Teachers College President Arthur Levine said in a statement that the program would help the college recruit education students committed to serving needy children.
Vol. 25, Issue 40, Page 6
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN