Spellings Drafts Panel to Study Higher Education
Citing a need for a more focused policy approach to education at the college and university level, Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings announced the formation of a commission last week to draw up a “comprehensive national strategy” on the future of higher education.
“I’m not advocating a bigger role for the federal government, but it’s time to examine how we can get the most out of our national investment,” Ms. Spellings said on Sept. 19 in Charlotte, N.C. “We have a responsibility to make sure our higher education system continues to meet our nation’s needs for an educated and competitive workforce in the 21st century.”
She outlined a broad mandate for the 19-member federal panel, which will have its first meeting next month. Its final report...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Literacy
- Regis University, Denver, CO
- Director of School Support
- The Achievement Network, Multiple Locations
- Perspectives Charter Schools, Chicago, IL
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Lake Forest School District 67 & 115, Lake Forest, IL
- Princeton Public School District, Princeton, NJ