Who Is Reading First Actually Helping?
To the Editor:
In regard to "Group Seeks Federal Probe of Reading First" (Aug. 5, 2005):
Some state officials report that they have seen improvement in “professional development, support services, and instructional services” through the use of Reading First. Not mentioned in the article is the number of students who showed gains as a result of the federal program. To whom are we teaching the skill of reading? Shouldn’t we attempt to correlate any findings to student improvement?
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Early Learning Policy Specialist
- City of Seattle, Seattle, WA
- Chief of Human Resources Officer
- Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI
- Licensed Teachers 7-12 **Now Offering $2,000 sign-on Payment**
- Youth Villages, Bartlett, TN
- Chief Inclusion Officer
- Ithaca City School District, NY
- STEM Academy Engineering Teacher
- Lithia Springs High School, Lithia Springs, GA