Who Is Reading First Actually Helping?
To the Editor:
In regard to "Group Seeks Federal Probe of Reading First" (Aug. 5, 2005):
Some state officials report that they have seen improvement in “professional development, support services, and instructional services” through the use of Reading First. Not mentioned in the article is the number of students who showed gains as a result of the federal program. To whom are we teaching the skill of reading? Shouldn’t we attempt to correlate any findings to student improvement?
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Butler School District 53, Libertyville, IL
- Area Superintendent
- ArlingtonISD, Arlington, TX
- St. Francis Catholic High School, Sacramento, CA
- Assistant State Superintendent of Early Childhood Development
- Maryland State Department of Education, Baltimore, MD
- High School Principal 12 Month Position
- School District of Osceola County, Florida, Multiple Locations