Who Is Reading First Actually Helping?
To the Editor:
In regard to "Group Seeks Federal Probe of Reading First" (Aug. 5, 2005):
Some state officials report that they have seen improvement in “professional development, support services, and instructional services” through the use of Reading First. Not mentioned in the article is the number of students who showed gains as a result of the federal program. To whom are we teaching the skill of reading? Shouldn’t we attempt to correlate any findings to student improvement?
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Sheboygan Area School District, Sheboygan, WI
- Saint Louis Public School Principal Positions
- Saint Louis Public Schools, Saint Louis, MO
- Math Instructor
- Cassadaga Job Corps Academy, Cassadaga, NY
- School Superintendent
- Ichabod Crane Central School District, Valatie, NY
- Teacher (Pre-Kindergarten & Kindergarten, 2017-18)
- The Primary School - new education & health model, East Palo Alto, CA