Who Is Reading First Actually Helping?
To the Editor:
In regard to "Group Seeks Federal Probe of Reading First" (Aug. 5, 2005):
Some state officials report that they have seen improvement in “professional development, support services, and instructional services” through the use of Reading First. Not mentioned in the article is the number of students who showed gains as a result of the federal program. To whom are we teaching the skill of reading? Shouldn’t we attempt to correlate any findings to student improvement?
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- The International Educator, Japan
- Middle School English Language Arts Teacher
- The International Educator, India
- High School Chemistry Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Italy
- Middle School Science Teacher
- The International Educator, Ecuador
- PRINCIPAL - CENTAURUS HIGH SCHOOL
- Boulder Valley School District, Lafayette, CO