Published Online: March 29, 2005
Published in Print: March 30, 2005, as Probe of Roslyn, N.Y., District Said to Include Construction Funds

News in Brief: A National Roundup

Probe of Roslyn, N.Y., District Said to Include Construction Funds

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints

Prosecutors investigating the alleged embezzlement of millions of dollars by leaders of the Roslyn, N.Y., public schools have seized more documents from the 3,300-student Long Island district.

A spokeswoman for Nassau County District Attorney Denis Dillon would not discuss specifics, but she confirmed that the prosecutor’s office removed additional boxes of papers from the district on March 17. The New York Times, which reviewed the documents before they were taken, reported that they dealt with school construction.

The criminal probe of the Roslyn system has been widening since July, when the Nassau County prosecutor filed charges of grand larceny against the district’s former superintendent and a former assistant superintendent. ("Superintendent of Wealthy District Charged in Embezzlement Scandal," July 14, 2004.)

Along with a district account clerk charged since then, the suspects stole more than $2.3 million, prosecutors allege. All three have pleaded not guilty. A recent state audit suggested that 26 district employees may have used as much as $11.2 million in district funds for personal benefit.

Vol. 24, Issue 29, Page 4

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Commented