News in Brief: A National Roundup
San Diego Board Shortens Superintendent’s Contract
The San Diego school board voted late last week to usher Superintendent Alan D. Bersin out of his job a year ahead of schedule.
In a 4-0 vote, with one member abstaining, the panel amended Mr. Bersin’s contract to end on June 30. The current agreement specifies June 30, 2006.
Last November’s school board election shifted membership on the panel from a 3-2 majority that had been supportive of Mr. Bersin to one more critical of his methods. ("San Diego Reforms’ Future Depends on Board," Dec. 8, 2004.)
The amended contract was mutually agreed upon, according to district officials.
Since his 1998 arrival in the 140,000-student district, Mr. Bersin has pursued a nationally watched reform agenda that has schools focusing a lot of time on basic skills, and on training for teachers and principals in specific instructional methodologies.
Vol. 24, Issue 21, Page 4
- Project Manager, First the Seed Foundation Educational Programs
- First the Seed Foundation, VA
- Qualified KG or Elementary Classroom Teacher
- The International School Of Choueifat Manama, Bahrain, Manama, Bahrain
- Director of Information Technology
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD
- Director of Auxiliary Programming
- Lovett School, Atlanta, GA
- Director of College Counseling
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA