Published Online: November 23, 2004
Published in Print: November 24, 2004, as N.Y.C. Probing Disposal of Students’ Private Files

News in Brief: A National Roundup

N.Y.C. Probing Disposal of Students’ Private Files

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints

Authorities in New York City are investigating how thousands of confidential student files came to be dumped on a Bronx street, where they were retrieved by the Daily News.

Richard J. Condon, the special commissioner of investigation for the city’s schools, received the 11 boxes of files last week from the newspaper, a spokeswoman for his office said, and has opened an inquiry.

The DailyNews said the records were disposed of outside the office that coordinates home-schooling services for children assigned to District 75, the citywide special education district that serves the students who have the most severe disabilities and illnesses.

Federal and state laws require that student records be kept private.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg called the apparent illegal dumping of the documents an “outrage.” Schools Chancellor Joel I. Klein apologized to parents and vowed a thorough investigation.

Vol. 24, Issue 13, Page 4

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories