The Utah state board of education recently selected Charles M. Bernardo, former superintendent of schools in Montgomery County, Md., to serve as the new state superintendent.
Mr. Bernardo, 44 years old, has been an educational consultant and a real-estate investor and salesman since he was forced to resign from the Montgomery County superintendency position in 1979 because of conflicts with the school board and teachers. He has also served as the superintendent of schools in Providence, R.I.
As Utah's superintendent, Mr. Bernardo will administer a school system of about 340,000 students. His appointment marks the first time a nonresident has held the position and only the second time a non-Mormon has been selected by the state board.
Mr. Bernardo will replace Walter D. Talbot, who will retire at the end of the current school year.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Rockridge Community Unit School District #300
- Rockridge Community Unit School District #300, Taylor Ridge, IL
- Deputy Superintendent of Education Support
- West Virginia Department of Education, Charleston, WV
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Director of Professional Services
- Engaging Schools, Inc., Cambridge, MA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations