Report: Classroom Video Use on the Rise

By Anthony Rebora — February 07, 2011 1 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Teachers’ use of video content for instruction has increased dramatically over the past three years, according to a survey.

Fully 76 percent of teachers said they stream or download video content in the classroom, up from 55 percent in 2007, reports “Deepening Connections,” an annual survey of teachers’ technology use published by PBS. Asked about the benefits of using video for instruction, 68 percent of the teachers surveyed said it stimulates discussions, and 66 percent agreed that it increases student motivation. A majority (55 percent) said it helps them to be more creative.

Teachers also tend to be using more short video segments (three to five minutes) than previously, the survey reports, suggesting that they may be incorporating the medium “more strategically to introduce, supplement, and reinforce content.”

Overall, the survey finds teachers’ reliance on digital media growing, with 97 percent of respondents saying they have used some form of electronic content for instruction. (Sort of makes you wonder about that remaining 3 percent, doesn’t it?) Sixty-two percent reported that they use digital media on a frequent basis, while 24 percent said they use it every day.

At the same time, 54 percent of the teachers said their school media budgets had decreased over the past year, and the survey points to a heavy reliance on free education resources and resources purchased by teachers out of pocket.

According to the survey, interactive whiteboards are teachers’ most prized digital resource, with 68 percent of those surveyed pointing to their value.

Related Tags:

A version of this news article first appeared in the Teaching Now blog.