Federal

Connecticut Files Court Challenge to NCLB

By Jeff Archer — August 30, 2005 4 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Connecticut last week became the first and, so far, only state to sue over the federal No Child Left Behind Act, a move that some analysts say could embolden policymakers elsewhere to step up their varied challenges to the Bush administration’s signature education law.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Hartford on Aug. 22, argues that federal funding to Connecticut falls far short of what is needed to meet the law’s testing and accountability requirements, a violation of the U.S. Constitution and provisions in the nearly 4-year-old statute itself.

“Our message today is: Give up the unfunded mandates, or give us the money,” Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said at a press conference.

The action came nearly five months after he first announced plans to sue over the law. Mr. Blumenthal had said one of the reasons he waited was to give other states the chance to join the suit, but none had done so as of late last week.

The No Child Left Behind law calls for high standards for academic achievement, testing of all pupils in grades 3-8 in reading and mathematics, and intervention in low-performing schools.

More Suits Coming?

At an Aug. 24 press event in Atlanta, Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings called the unfunded-mandate argument a “red herring,” asking why Connecticut was afraid to assess its performance as the law requires. U.S. Department of Education spokeswoman Susan Aspey added in a statement that “nearly every state is on board and working with us to help their students.”

A report this month sponsored by an activist group called the Civil Society Institute countered that lawmakers in 21 states have considered—although not necessarily passed—bills critical of the federal education law, and that 40 states have sought federal waivers or exemptions from some of its provisions.

Chuck Dow, a spokesman for the state attorney general’s office in Maine, said last week that a lawsuit by his state challenging the No Child Left Behind law remained “an open possibility.”

Kristen Tosh Cowan, a San Francisco-based lawyer who advises states and districts on federal education issues, said that state attempts to temper or resist provisions of the law could be even more likely in the wake of Connecticut’s court action, even if others don’t pursue legal challenges.

“I don’t know that we’ll see a lot more litigation,” said Ms. Cowan, a partner with the law firm Brustein & Manasevit. “I think you could maybe see states being a little more aggressive in what they ask for informally, and perhaps more political pressure.”

Connecticut’s 28-page complaint recounts how its attempts to get waivers of some of the student-assessment provisions in the federal law have been repeatedly denied in recent months by Secretary Spellings.

In particular, Connecticut education officials sought unsuccessfully to get out of the requirement that they expand their testing in core subjects—which they have in grades 4, 6, and 8—to cover the entire span of grades 3-8.

An estimate by the Connecticut education department pegs the cost of providing those and additional assessments called for in the law at $41.6 million by 2008, compared with $33.6 million that the state is slated to receive from the federal government by then for test implementation.

The legal case rests largely on a provision in the No Child Left Behind Act stating that “nothing in this chapter shall be construed to authorize” the federal government to “mandate a state or any subdivision thereof to spend any funds or incur any costs not paid for under this chapter.”

The complaint also cites the spending clause in Article I of the Constitution, which has been construed by the courts as requiring Congress to make unambiguous any conditions attached to states’ acceptance of federal money.

Similar arguments are made in a separate lawsuit filed in April by the National Education Association. The U.S. Education Department has asked a judge in U.S. District Court in Detroit to dismiss that case, arguing that the law is not an unfunded mandate because states need not take the federal money allocated for it. (“U.S. Asks Court to Dismiss Lawsuit Over NCLB,” July 13, 2005.)

Other State Action

Connecticut’s lawsuit specifically seeks a court order to bar the federal Education Department from withholding funds from the state for failing to comply with what the complaint calls “a rigid, arbitrary, and capricious interpretation” of the No Child Left Behind Act.

“That’s money that goes to schools that serve our neediest children,” Mr. Blumenthal said.

States are voicing their objections to the law in other ways, as noted by the Civil Society Institute. Released by the Newton Centre, Mass.-based organization this month, “NCLB Left Behind” catalogs recent state legislation, including Utah’s passage of a measure that gives state education law precedence over federal rules, and a Colorado law offering financial protection to districts that opt out of the No Child Left Behind law’s requirements.

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Hidden Costs of Special Ed Vacancies: Solutions for Your District
When provider vacancies hit, students feel it first. Hear what district leaders are doing to keep IEP-related services on track.
Content provided by Huddle Up
Mathematics K-12 Essentials Forum Middle and High School Math: How to Get Struggling Learners on Track
Join this free virtual event to uncover the nature of students’ weaknesses in secondary-level math and find a path forward.
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Privacy & Security Webinar
How Technology Is Reshaping Childhood
How do we protect kids online while embracing innovation? Learn about navigating safety, privacy, and opportunity in the Digital Age.
Content provided by Connect x Protect

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Senate Days Are Numbered for Top Republican Charged With Ed. Dept. Oversight
Sen. Bill Cassidy was vying for a third term in the Senate but lost his primary over the weekend.
4 min read
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., right, hugs a supporter during an election night watch party Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Baton Rouge, La.
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., right, hugs a supporter during an election night watch party on Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Baton Rouge, La. Cassidy leads the Senate committee charged with education policy. He was vying for a third Senate term but lost his primary over the weekend.
Gerald Herbert/AP
Federal Opinion Trump's K-12 Leader: Let’s Improve Assessment Without Sacrificing Accountability
The Ed. Dept. is shrinking the federal footprint but raising academic expectations, says Kirsten Baesler.
Kirsten Baesler
4 min read
A pencil leaning against the wall. The shadow of a ladder shade reflected on the wall.
Education Week + E+/Getty
Federal 'Creative' or 'Illegal?' Congress Debates Trump's Dismantling of Education Dept.
Republicans praised Linda McMahon for shrinking the federal K-12 footprint. Democrats raised concerns.
6 min read
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives to testify during the House Education and Workforce Committee hearing titled "Examining the Policies and Priorities of the Department of Education," in Rayburn building on Thursday, May 14, 2026.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives to testify during the House Education and Workforce Committee hearing on Thursday, May 14, 2026. She defended the movement of dozens of her department's programs to other agencies and a budget proposal that would eliminate dozens of federal education programs.
Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call via AP
Federal Democrats Challenge Plan to Dismantle Office for English Learners
The Education Department notified Congress in February of its plans to dismantle OELA.
6 min read
Collage of the Capitol building and McMahon.
Collage with Jason Andrew for Education Week + Canva