Opening Gateways to Learning & Careers
Government agencies, business groups, and policymakers continue to prioritize support for the STEM fields. But K-12 educators note that these fields present many places where kids can get stuck—from weak instruction in the early grades to traditional calculus classes in high school and college. Even the end goal, improved employment outcomes, remains murky. In this special report, Education Week takes a closer look at these STEM gateways, searching out ones that offer new avenues—like hands-on preparation for advanced manufacturing—and the efforts to break down longstanding barriers, like remedial algebra.
Education Week Experts
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Math Teacher
- [email protected], Wilson, Arkansas
- Principal – New School Opening in Spanish Town Jamaica
- Christel House International, Spanish Town (JM)
- TEST, Bethesda, Ohio
- Senior Editor
- Facing History and Ourselves, Brookline, Massachusetts
- History Teachers SY18-19
- Dearborn STEM Academy, Boston Public Schools , Boston, Massachusetts