Opening Gateways to Learning & Careers
Government agencies, business groups, and policymakers continue to prioritize support for the STEM fields. But K-12 educators note that these fields present many places where kids can get stuck—from weak instruction in the early grades to traditional calculus classes in high school and college. Even the end goal, improved employment outcomes, remains murky. In this special report, Education Week takes a closer look at these STEM gateways, searching out ones that offer new avenues—like hands-on preparation for advanced manufacturing—and the efforts to break down longstanding barriers, like remedial algebra.
Education Week Experts
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Teachers Needed at Top International Schools in China & Hong Kong! All Grades/Subjects
- Edvectus, China (CN)
- Chief Academic Officer
- Creative Minds International PCS, Washington D.C.
- Superintendent, Davenport Community School District
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Davenport, Iowa
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona
- Chief Academic Officer, Clarke County School District
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Athens, Georgia