News in Brief
Title IX Lawsuit Filed Against Mich. District
The National Women's Law Center filed a Title IX lawsuit against a Michigan district last week, charging that it had failed to respond to the alleged sexual assault of a female high school student by a player on the school's basketball team.
Title IX prohibits gender discrimination, including sexual violence in any federally financed education program or activity.
The suit contends that the Forest Hills school district failed to address student-on-student harassment as required under the law.
A second student later allegedly told the principal that she had been assaulted by the same basketball player while in the school parking lot.
The plaintiff, referred to in the lawsuit as Jane Doe, ended up leaving Forest Hills in the 2011-12 school year after learning that the basketball player would be allowed to return.
Vol. 32, Issue 29, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN