News in Brief
Rep. Kline Seeking School Safety Details
Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., the chairman of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, is pressing the administration to provide significantly more detail on its school safety proposals. They were rolled out in record time earlier this month and are aimed at preventing another massacre like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December.
Rep. Kline and two of his GOP colleagues—Reps. Todd Rokita of Indiana and Virginia Foxx of North Carolina—sent letters Jan. 31 to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, and Attorney General Eric Holder asking questions about the proposals, which would create a host of new safety and mental health programs.
The lawmakers also want to know how much the programs would cost, when the funding would be made available, and how the proposed new programs differ from those already on the books. The letter asks for a response by Feb. 7.
Vol. 32, Issue 20, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL