News in Brief
Chief Gives Own Raise to Anti-Bullying Effort
Ouachita Parish schools Superintendent Bob Webber's contract includes a 4 percent annual raise, but for the past two years he's refused to take it because of the 19,400-student Louisiana district's finances.
The News-Star reports he changed his mind when he saw the opportunity to connect the money with a private program that combats bullying in schools.
Mr. Webber asked that the $5,800 instead be given to Richwood Junior High and Richwood High School to fund implementation of programs under Rachel's Challenge, which works to equip students and adults to combat bullying and counter feelings of isolation and despair.
The programs are based on the writings and life of 17-year-old Rachel Scott, who was killed in the shootings at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999.
Vol. 32, Issue 08, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh