News in Brief
La. Officials Delay Pre-K Grading Plan
State schools superintendent John White has delayed plans to give his recommendations for grading Louisiana's fragmented system of publicly funded prekindergarten and early-childhood programs.
Mr. White was expected to discuss the performance-standard framework with the state board of elementary and secondary education this week. But he said last week he's pushing that back until the board's December meeting because he wants more time to meet with people and work on the plans.
A new law pushed by Gov. Bobby Jindal and passed by lawmakers earlier this year requires creation of a common assessment and grading system for early-childhood programs that are scattered across agencies. It is to be fully phased in by the 2015-16 school year. A plan is due by March 1.
Vol. 32, Issue 08, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA