News in Brief
Del. Officials Unveil Charter Standards
Delaware education officials have unveiled a new accountability system aimed at strengthening oversight and performance of the state's charter schools.
The new charter school framework incorporates several suggestions in a report published last year by the National Association of Charter School Authorizers, officials said.
The framework sets clear expectations for charter schools, said Gov. Jack Markell, a Democrat.
The new standards are aimed at making sure charter schools are academically successful, financially viable and organizationally sound. While Delaware charter schools serve more than 10,000 students, some have struggled with poor academic performance and financial and management problems.
State officials have been working on the new framework over the past two years. It will take effect next school year.
Vol. 32, Issue 05, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT