"HIV, Other STD, and Pregnancy Prevention Education in Public Secondary Schools—45 States, 2008-2010"
A new analysis from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention finds that in 2010, the percentage of middle schools teaching about HIV, other sexually transmitted diseases, and pregnancy prevention was significantly lower in 11 states than it was two years earlier.
The findings come from a CDC analysis of 2008 and 2010 data for schools in 45 states.
The study also found that the percentage of schools teaching several condom-related topics in a required sexuality education course in grades 9, 10, 11, or 12 was significantly lower in eight states and higher in three.
The CDC said the findings indicate that schools made little progress in increasing the number of specific topics covered in sexuality education courses between 2008 and 2010.
Vol. 31, Issue 28, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL