News in Brief
Girl, 11, Sues District Over Drug Testing
A central Pennsylvania middle school student is suing her district over a drug-testing policy that's required if she wants to participate in choir and other activities.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania last week filed the lawsuit on behalf of the 11-year-old girl and her parents. The group says the policy violates privacy rights under the state constitution and wants a court to prevent the Solanco school district from enforcing it.
The lawsuit says the 6th grader at Swift Middle School was removed from the orchestra and chorus and can't participate in athletic or academic teams, because she won't consent to having her urine screened on a random basis by school officials.
A message left for school officials wasn't immediately returned.
Vol. 31, Issue 26, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Multiple Positions
- Township High School District 113, IL
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA