News in Brief
Obama Will Address Joplin, Mo., Graduates
President Barack Obama will speak at this year's high school graduation ceremony in Joplin, the Missouri city recovering from a devastating tornado a year ago.
The White House said the president will deliver remarks at the May 21 commencement.
Mr. Obama last visited Joplin in May, days after the tornado hit. More than 160 people were killed, including seven students and one staff member at the high school, making it the nation's deadliest tornado in decades.
The tornado struck less than an hour after the 2011 graduation ceremonies at Joplin High School.
With much of the school leveled, this year's seniors have been attending classes at a nearby mall.
Vol. 31, Issue 24, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Technology Teacher
- Brookwood School District 167, Glenwood, IL
- Director of Special Projects
- National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity Education Foundation, Gap, PA