"The School Principal as Leader"
The New York City-based Wallace Foundation has distilled lessons from a decade's worth of school leadership projects in 24 states into five "key functions" that effective principals must have.
Those functions, fleshed out in a new report from the foundation, include: shaping a vision of academic success for all students; creating a climate hospitable to education; cultivating leadership in others; improving instruction; and managing people, data, and processes to foster school improvement.
The report is the first in a series of guides on good school leadership and how it can be supported at the district and state level.
(Wallace also supports coverage of leadership, expanded learning time, and arts learning in Education Week.)
Vol. 31, Issue 17, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME