How Many Decades Before 'Reform' Becomes 'Status Quo'?
Pause for a moment and warily inhale the decaying fragrance of well-aged change.
The nation’s established school reformers have been on the ascendency for decades, and the so-called “change” they offer is simply more of the same. Consider this brief recap of school reform over the past three decades, focused in particular on privatization and choice, as well as standards-based testing and accountability.
Reform in the 1980s: “A Nation at Risk” ; site-based management; basic-skills testing; graduation exams; and the...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA