News in Brief
Most States Get F for Civil Rights Education
A majority of states deserve a failing grade for how they handle the teaching of civil rights history in their standards, while just three—Alabama, Florida, and New York—merit an A, a new report by the Southern Poverty Law Center of Atlanta concludes. "In most states, the requirements for teaching about the civil rights movement are grossly inadequate to nonexistent," the civil rights group determined in its report.
Vol. 31, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Head of School/President
- Saint Gertrude High School, Richmond, VA
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA