Calif. Governor Signs Gay-History Bill
Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, signed legislation last month making California the first state to require public schools to incorporate the history and contributions of homosexuals into social studies classes. The new law adds lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students as well as persons with disabilities to the list of groups whose roles and contributions must be accurately portrayed in social studies instruction and instructional materials. Opponents have started to gather signatures for a ballot measure that...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Louis Park, MN
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Superintendent of Schools - SAU 9
- SAU 9 - Conway, NH, Conway, NH
- Superintendent of Schools
- Orleans Parish School District, New Orleans, LA