News in Brief
Calif. Governor Signs Gay-History Bill
Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, signed legislation last month making California the first state to require public schools to incorporate the history and contributions of homosexuals into social studies classes. The new law adds lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students as well as persons with disabilities to the list of groups whose roles and contributions must be accurately portrayed in social studies instruction and instructional materials. Opponents have started to gather signatures for a ballot measure that would repeal the law.
Vol. 30, Issue 37, Page 6
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Senior Director, Professional Development Product Management
- The College Board, New York, NY
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Research Fellow - Education
- PPIC, San Francisco, CA
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA