News in Brief
La. to Step Up Charter Oversight
Louisiana is moving to change the way it oversees its charter schools, in response to allegations of sexual encounters between students at one school that led to the firing of two state employees. Ollie Tyler, who became acting state schools superintendent after Paul Pastorek resigned in May, outlined a new oversight proposal last week. If approved by the state school board, it will have the state-run Recovery School District more directly monitor independently run charter schools contracting with the state and conduct annual on-site reviews and additional training.
Vol. 30, Issue 37, Page 6
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations