"Physical Activity Levels of High School Students"
Only about 15 percent of high school students across the country met the Healthy People 2020 objectives for aerobic activity, according to a study published by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy People is a 10-year agenda for improving Americans’ health.
The study, published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report for June 17, also found that only about half of 9th through 12th graders met Healthy People’s objectives for muscle-strengthening activities.
To address such issues, the CDC recommends increasing youth physical activity, including by making physical education classes longer and more active. It also recommends creating or improving access to places for physical activity and outreach activities.
Vol. 30, Issue 36, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Director II-Sudent Support Services
- Deer Valley Unified School District, Phoenix, AZ