"Physical Activity Levels of High School Students"
Only about 15 percent of high school students across the country met the Healthy People 2020 objectives for aerobic activity, according to a study published by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy People is a 10-year agenda for improving Americans’ health.
The study, published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report for June 17, also found that only about half of 9th through 12th graders met Healthy People’s objectives for muscle-strengthening activities.
To address such issues, the CDC recommends increasing youth physical activity, including by making physical education classes longer and more active. It also recommends creating or improving access to places for physical activity and outreach activities.
Vol. 30, Issue 36, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Mathematics Instructional Support Coach
- Weymouth Public Schools, Weymouth, MA
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Director, Accountability and Research
- Orange County Public Schools, Orlando, FL
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations