"Physical Activity Levels of High School Students"
Only about 15 percent of high school students across the country met the Healthy People 2020 objectives for aerobic activity, according to a study published by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy People is a 10-year agenda for improving Americans’ health.
The study, published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report for June 17, also found that only about half of 9th through 12th graders met Healthy People’s objectives for muscle-strengthening activities.
To address such issues, the CDC recommends increasing youth physical activity, including by making physical education classes longer and more active. It also recommends creating or improving access to places for physical activity and outreach activities.
Vol. 30, Issue 36, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Kindergarten teacher
- Saint Sophia School, Holladay, UT
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL
- Deputy Chief Academic Supports Officer
- School District of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA