News in Brief
Finalists Picked for Obama Graduation
After a slow start to the second annual presidential commencement contest, the White House this month announced six finalists for a chance to have President Barack Obama speak at their graduation ceremonies. The finalists are: Bridgeport High School (Bridgeport, Wash.); Wayne Early Middle College High School (Goldsboro, N.C.); Booker T. Washington High School (Memphis, Tenn.); Science Park High School (Newark, N.J.); Pittsburgh CAPA 6-12, School for Creative and Performing Arts (Pittsburgh, Pa.); and High Tech High International (San Diego, Calif.). The public will be able to vote on schools' video applications, and Mr. Obama will choose the winner. Last year, Kalamazoo Central High School, in Kalamazoo, Mich., won.
Vol. 30, Issue 28, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Herricks School District, New Hyde Park, NY
- Deputy Director for Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
- Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), Wiesbaden, Germany
- Summer Math Curriculum Development Associate (3): Grades K-2; Grades 3-5; Grades 6-8
- The Partnership for Inner-City Education, New York, NY
- Engineering & Robotics Teacher
- String Theory Schools, Philadelphia, PA
- High School Dean of Academics
- Paul Public Charter School, Washington, DC