News in Brief
Finalists Picked for Obama Graduation
After a slow start to the second annual presidential commencement contest, the White House this month announced six finalists for a chance to have President Barack Obama speak at their graduation ceremonies. The finalists are: Bridgeport High School (Bridgeport, Wash.); Wayne Early Middle College High School (Goldsboro, N.C.); Booker T. Washington High School (Memphis, Tenn.); Science Park High School (Newark, N.J.); Pittsburgh CAPA 6-12, School for Creative and Performing Arts (Pittsburgh, Pa.); and High Tech High International (San Diego, Calif.). The public will be able to vote on schools' video applications, and Mr. Obama will choose the winner. Last year, Kalamazoo Central High School, in Kalamazoo, Mich., won.
Vol. 30, Issue 28, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA