"Capitol Facts & Figure: Farm-to-School Programs"
New laws, grants, and pilot programs have spurred the movement, which aims to connect schools with local farms and serve cafeteria meals made with those locally grown foods. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also created a Farm-to-School Team in 2009 to help link schools and local food producers.
Studies have shown that children will eat more fruits and vegetables when they have easy access to a variety of high-quality fresh items and if they participate in educational activities that are fun and feature these foods.
Vol. 30, Issue 22, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Headmaster, K-8
- Jackson Hole Classical Academy, Jackson Hole, WY
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA