"Capitol Facts & Figure: Farm-to-School Programs"
New laws, grants, and pilot programs have spurred the movement, which aims to connect schools with local farms and serve cafeteria meals made with those locally grown foods. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also created a Farm-to-School Team in 2009 to help link schools and local food producers.
Studies have shown that children will eat more fruits and vegetables when they have easy access to a variety of high-quality fresh items and if they participate in educational activities that are fun and feature these foods.
Vol. 30, Issue 22, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Mathematics Instructional Support Coach
- Weymouth Public Schools, Weymouth, MA
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ