"Capitol Facts & Figure: Farm-to-School Programs"
New laws, grants, and pilot programs have spurred the movement, which aims to connect schools with local farms and serve cafeteria meals made with those locally grown foods. The U.S. Department of Agriculture also created a Farm-to-School Team in 2009 to help link schools and local food producers.
Studies have shown that children will eat more fruits and vegetables when they have easy access to a variety of high-quality fresh items and if they participate in educational activities that are fun and feature these foods.
Vol. 30, Issue 22, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Multiple Positions
- Jersey City Public Schools, Jersey City, NJ