News in Brief
Calif. Parent-Trigger Petition Rejected by School Board
A group of Compton, Calif., parents vowed to continue to force their school district to convert a struggling elementary school to an independent charter, despite the school board's rejection of their petition.
Lorena Bautista, a parent at McKinley Elementary School, said the school district found any excuse to deny the petition, filed under California's "parent trigger" law, which gives parents the right to force changes at failing schools.
The Compton Unified School District board voted unanimously last week to deny the petition after finding flaws, including discrepancies in the signatures.
Vol. 30, Issue 22, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Executive Director
- Aspen Academy, Savage, MN
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA