News in Brief
Calif. Parent-Trigger Petition Rejected by School Board
A group of Compton, Calif., parents vowed to continue to force their school district to convert a struggling elementary school to an independent charter, despite the school board's rejection of their petition.
Lorena Bautista, a parent at McKinley Elementary School, said the school district found any excuse to deny the petition, filed under California's "parent trigger" law, which gives parents the right to force changes at failing schools.
The Compton Unified School District board voted unanimously last week to deny the petition after finding flaws, including discrepancies in the signatures.
Vol. 30, Issue 22, Page 5
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Christ the King Preparatory School, NJ
- Amargosa Valley Elementary School, Amargosa Valley, NV
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations
- Chief of Human Resources
- San Francisco Unified School District, San Francisco, CA