News in Brief
Calif. Parent-Trigger Petition Rejected by School Board
A group of Compton, Calif., parents vowed to continue to force their school district to convert a struggling elementary school to an independent charter, despite the school board's rejection of their petition.
Lorena Bautista, a parent at McKinley Elementary School, said the school district found any excuse to deny the petition, filed under California's "parent trigger" law, which gives parents the right to force changes at failing schools.
The Compton Unified School District board voted unanimously last week to deny the petition after finding flaws, including discrepancies in the signatures.
Vol. 30, Issue 22, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA
- Multiple Positions
- Township High School District 113, IL
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO