Grantmakers Seeking to Influence Policy
When Rhode Island Gov. Donald L. Carcieri signed legislation this summer to establish a state funding formula for public schools, he didn’t do so at the Statehouse or a school: He signed it at the headquarters of the Rhode Island Foundation , a nod toward that philanthropy’s role in helping to devise and marshal support for the plan.
The community foundation worked intensively on multiple fronts to move the effort along, said Neil D. Steinberg, its president and chief executive officer.
“We funded research to support a funding formula,” he said. “We funded convenings of people across the state, and we actually went up [to the legislature]...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY