News in Brief
Michelle Rhee Joins Florida Gov.-Elect's Transition Team
Former District of Columbia Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee has joined Florida Gov.-elect Rick Scott’s transition team on education, Mr. Scott announced last week.
The Republican said Ms. Rhee would help him “find innovative ways to create a new education system for a new economy.”
Ms. Rhee aggressively pushed for change during her three years as chancellor of the District of Columbia schools. She launched a new evaluation and performance-pay system for teachers, fired teachers who were deemed underperforming, and closed schools. Ms. Rhee resigned in October after Mayor Adrian Fenty lost his renomination bid.
Vol. 30, Issue 14, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Director at KIPP Delta Public Schools
- On-Ramps, Blytheville, AR
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Claypit Hill Elementary School, Wayland, MA
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME