News in Brief
New Mexico Adopts Common Standards
New Mexico Secretary of Education Designate Susanna Murphy last week approved the common-core standards for math and English/language arts for her state, taking the number of states adopting the standards to 39, plus the District of Columbia. However, citing concern about the time needed to prepare assessments, instructional materials, and professional-development materials, Ms. Murphy decided to delay implementation until 2012, according to her chief of staff, Lori Bachman.
Vol. 30, Issue 09, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations