News in Brief
Fla. District Lays Off 1,300
The Broward County, Fla., school district, struggling to close a $130 million budget shortfall, notifed 1,305 employees last week that they will not have jobs next school year. Superintendent James Notter estimates that of the 568 teachers who received pink slips, more than 300 could be rehired. Last year, the district initially laid off 394 teachers, but later offered jobs to all but about 20 of them. According to its website, the district has 15,716 teachers and 37,482 full-time employees in all.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director of Professional Services
- Engaging Schools, Inc., Cambridge, MA
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL