News in Brief
Fla. District Lays Off 1,300
The Broward County, Fla., school district, struggling to close a $130 million budget shortfall, notifed 1,305 employees last week that they will not have jobs next school year. Superintendent James Notter estimates that of the 568 teachers who received pink slips, more than 300 could be rehired. Last year, the district initially laid off 394 teachers, but later offered jobs to all but about 20 of them. According to its website, the district has 15,716 teachers and 37,482 full-time employees in all.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Green Chimneys, Brewster, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery CSD, Highland Falls, NY
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDANT, OPERATIONS
- Fresno Unified School District, Fresno, CA