News in Brief
L.A. Approves Plan to Shorten School Year, Head Off Layoffs
The Los Angeles school board has signed off on an agreement with the teachers’ union to shorten the school year and eliminate the need to lay off more than 2,100 employees.
A unanimous board approved the plan last week. The agreement will shorten the academic year by five days this year and next in order to save the district about $147 million and 1,825 teaching jobs.
The deal will also require teachers to take five unpaid furlough days this school year and seven days the next.
Vol. 29, Issue 29, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- Multiple Positions
- Jersey City Public Schools, Jersey City, NJ