News in Brief
Probe of School Boards Group Expands in Iowa
The investigation into the alleged mishandling of money at the Iowa Association of School Boards has expanded to include federal education officials.
U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, said in a letter sent to Education Secretary Arne Duncan last month that he obtained funding for the Iowa school board group to run the program known as Skills Iowa, which offers students online learning and assessment tools. Mr. Harkin, who is chair of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee, requested that the department “look into this matter and, if warranted, direct the inspector general to investigate whether any federal funds intended for the implementation of Skills Iowa were misused or misdirected by the IASB.”
Mr. Harkins request came as the Iowa legislatures Government Oversight Committee began its second week of investigating the school board associations operation, a probe that also includes the FBI and state auditors.
Vol. 29, Issue 27, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Darien, CT Superintendent of Schools
- NESDEC, Darien, CT
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC
- Head of School
- Brownell-Talbot School, Omaha, NE