Report: N.Y. School Payrolls Jump, Enrollment Drops
A study released Tuesday reported that New York public schools have dramatically increased hiring during a period of historic increases in state aid and local property taxes even while enrollment declined.
The report by The Empire Center of the fiscally conservative Manhattan Institute comes as schools, protected by powerful lobbies, have so far avoided deep cuts during the state's fiscal crisis while warning that a proposed cut of 5 percent would force layoffs that would devastate education.
Underscoring the severity of the fiscal crisis, Gov. David Paterson on Tuesday delayed a $2.1 billion payment to schools usually paid on March 31. The delay will last until sometime before the payment's final due date of June 1. He also suspended hundreds...
This article is available to registered guests only.
To keep reading this article and more, register now, subscribe,
or start a 2-week FREE trial for the best site-wide access.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations
- Charter School Director (Head of School)
- International Preparatory Academy, Detroit, MI
- Roaring Fork School District, Carbondale, CO
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda