News in Brief
Chicago District Says Politician Owes System Rent, Back Taxes
A report from the Chicago public school system alleges that state Rep. Monique Davis owes the district nearly $500,000 in rent, back taxes, and fines for a building she has been using as a legislative office for seven years.
School district inspector James Sullivan’s report claims that Ms. Davis’ lease ran out on a South Side building in 2002 and that she stopped paying rent. Mr. Sullivan says the district asked Ms. Davis to leave, but didn’t force her out.
Court documents filed in November show the district filed a lawsuit against the Chicago Democrat and seeks nearly $84,000. Ms. Davis says she tried to contact school officials several times to request a new lease, but never received a response.
Vol. 29, Issue 16, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Multiple Positions
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- High School Director at KIPP Delta Public Schools
- On-Ramps, Blytheville, AR
- Superintendent of Schools
- Easton, Redding & Region 9 School Districts, Easton, CT