Mass. House Preps to Take Action of Education Bill
The Massachusetts House is moving forward on a plan to overhaul the state's education system.
House Ways and Means Chairman Charles Murphy released a revised version of the overhaul plan late Tuesday. It could be filed as early as Wednesday, allowing a debate as soon as lawmakers return to formal session next week.
The bill would allow an expansion of charter schools and strengthen the hands of superintendents in firing decisions at underperforming schools.
Gov. Deval Patrick had faulted House leaders for ending their formal session last month without taking final action on the bill, which has passed the Senate.
House Speaker Robert DeLeo pledged to pass the bill before a Jan. 19 deadline so the state can apply for extra funding under the federal "Race to the Top" program.
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL