News in Brief
Senator Calls for Oversight of D.C. Voucher Program
A U.S. senator’s questions about where hundreds of District of Columbia voucher students went to school last year have been resolved.
But Sen. Richard J. Durbin says he still wants stricter oversight of private schools in the federally funded scholarship program for poor Washington families. The Illinois Democrat says the voucher schools should be subject to the same standards as charter and regular public schools.
At a hearing last week, Mr. Durbin said he would support continuing the program if there was stricter oversight.
Earlier last month, Mr. Durbin said enrollment numbers his aides tracked down didn’t add up and many students were unaccounted for. But data supplied by the Washington Scholarship Fund, which oversees the program, appeared to help explain the discrepancy.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ