News in Brief
Senator Calls for Oversight of D.C. Voucher Program
A U.S. senator’s questions about where hundreds of District of Columbia voucher students went to school last year have been resolved.
But Sen. Richard J. Durbin says he still wants stricter oversight of private schools in the federally funded scholarship program for poor Washington families. The Illinois Democrat says the voucher schools should be subject to the same standards as charter and regular public schools.
At a hearing last week, Mr. Durbin said he would support continuing the program if there was stricter oversight.
Earlier last month, Mr. Durbin said enrollment numbers his aides tracked down didn’t add up and many students were unaccounted for. But data supplied by the Washington Scholarship Fund, which oversees the program, appeared to help explain the discrepancy.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Durham Public Schools, Durham, NC
- Assistant Professor of Education: Educational Leadership/Teacher Leadership
- Maryville University, MO
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- K-12 NEA Science Teachers Wanted for NGSS Curriculum Project. Earn $15k!
- BetterLesson, US
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations