News in Brief
Voucher Questions
U.S. Sen. Richard J. Durbin, D-Ill., says the federal government paid for more than 1,700 District of Columbia students to attend private schools, but doesn’t know what schools many attended. The senator made the accusation about the federal voucher program at a hearing Sept. 16. The Washington Scholarship Fund declined to give Mr. Durbin information, so he asked the 49 participating schools how many voucher students they each had last year. All but five schools responded; the numbers added up to 1,334 students. Gregory M. Cork, the head of the fund, said he will give Mr. Durbin enrollment data and try to resolve the discrepancies in the numbers. –AP
Vol. 29, Issue 04, Page 5
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
Viewed
Emailed
Recommended
Commented
Sponsored Whitepapers
• Best Practices in Information Management, Reporting and Analytics for Education
- Principal - Chicago Metro Area West
- The Menta Group, Hillside, IL
- Chief Financial Officer
- Hernando County School Board, Brooksville, FL
- Chief Innovation Officer
- The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®), Washington, DC
- Instructional Leadership Director
- ALBANY CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT, Albany, NY
- Train Brilliant Math Students
- Art of Problem Solving, San Diego, CA



We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.