News in Brief
Chicago Layoffs Loom to Help Fill Budget Gap
Officials of the Chicago public schools say they’ll lay off 500 employees within the next few weeks and another 500 over the next year to help fill a budget shortfall.
Spokeswoman Monique Bond says the cuts won’t affect classrooms, and the layoffs will be among the 5,300 employees in management or administrative positions.
Officials say the move will save at least $100 million. The 408,000-student district’s deficit is estimated at between $475 million and $600 million.
Vol. 28, Issue 35, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Director II-Sudent Support Services
- Deer Valley Unified School District, Phoenix, AZ