News in Brief
Chicago Layoffs Loom to Help Fill Budget Gap
Officials of the Chicago public schools say they’ll lay off 500 employees within the next few weeks and another 500 over the next year to help fill a budget shortfall.
Spokeswoman Monique Bond says the cuts won’t affect classrooms, and the layoffs will be among the 5,300 employees in management or administrative positions.
Officials say the move will save at least $100 million. The 408,000-student district’s deficit is estimated at between $475 million and $600 million.
Vol. 28, Issue 35, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Head of School
- Brownell-Talbot School, Omaha, NE
- Darien, CT Superintendent of Schools
- NESDEC, Darien, CT
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Executive Director
- Charter School NYC, New York, NY