News in Brief
Chicago Layoffs Loom to Help Fill Budget Gap
Officials of the Chicago public schools say they’ll lay off 500 employees within the next few weeks and another 500 over the next year to help fill a budget shortfall.
Spokeswoman Monique Bond says the cuts won’t affect classrooms, and the layoffs will be among the 5,300 employees in management or administrative positions.
Officials say the move will save at least $100 million. The 408,000-student district’s deficit is estimated at between $475 million and $600 million.
Vol. 28, Issue 35, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX
- Tennessee State Teacher Fellows Program Director
- Hope Street Group, TN
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA