High School Graduation
“Meeting the Challenge: Promising Practices for Reducing the Dropout Rate in Massachusetts Schools and Districts”
An examination of Massachusetts high schools that have lowered their dropout rates shows that they used key strategies that helped make a difference.
A frequently cited strategy employed by high schools in the study was using data to identify students who were deemed to be at risk of dropping out and designing interventions to help them, such as credit recovery, or extra academic or social support.
Also cited by many schools as helpful were building strong connections between school and college or careers, providing strong alternatives to traditional high schools, and forging strong collaboration among faculty members and with community partners.
Vol. 28, Issue 23, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV