High School Graduation
“Meeting the Challenge: Promising Practices for Reducing the Dropout Rate in Massachusetts Schools and Districts”
An examination of Massachusetts high schools that have lowered their dropout rates shows that they used key strategies that helped make a difference.
A frequently cited strategy employed by high schools in the study was using data to identify students who were deemed to be at risk of dropping out and designing interventions to help them, such as credit recovery, or extra academic or social support.
Also cited by many schools as helpful were building strong connections between school and college or careers, providing strong alternatives to traditional high schools, and forging strong collaboration among faculty members and with community partners.
Vol. 28, Issue 23, Pages 4-5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Associate Superintendent of School Performance
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Annapolis, MD
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN