News in Brief
Ohio Funders Say Standards for Teachers Need to Be Raised
A report says Ohio needs higher teacher standards and recommends making it easier to fire bad educators.
The recommendation was issued Jan. 20 by the Ohio Grantmakers Forum, a group of private and corporate foundations that together give more than $300 million a year to Ohio schools. The group also recommended dropping Ohio's high school graduation tests and replacing them with other ways of gauging critical-thinking skills and readiness for college and work.
The report came one week before Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat, was expected to announce his plans for school reform.
Vol. 28, Issue 19, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME