Economic Recovery, Educational Renewal
Few educators or political junkies wagered that Barack Obama would lift the schools early in his presidency. An imploding economy, two military fronts, and a sickly health care system would trump the urgency of education reform.
Well, all bets are off.
Mr. Obama, preparing to take the oath of office as the nation’s 44th president this week, suddenly put the schools front and center in sending a more than $700 billion stimulus package up to Capitol Hill. He has pledged to put people back to work by “modernizing schools that are failing our children.” Aiming to create 3 million jobs and lift the economy onto sustainable foundations, the new president has promised to rehabilitate the nation’s schools by repairing buildings...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Perspectives Charter Schools, Chicago, IL
- Elementary Principal
- Forest Grove School District, Forest Grove, OR
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Lake Forest School District 67 & 115, Lake Forest, IL
- K-12 Teachers
- The International Educator, Multiple Locations
- Director of School Support
- The Achievement Network, Multiple Locations