News in Brief
Detroit Board Fires Superintendent, Plans to Fight State Manager
The Detroit school board has fired Superintendent Connie Calloway, blaming her for the pending appointment of a state financial overseer because of the district's estimated $408 million deficit.
The board voted 7-4 on Dec. 15 to remove Ms. Calloway from the $280,000 job. She will continue to be paid pending her expected appeal. The district signed her to a five-year contract in March 2007.
Michigan state schools Superintendent Michael Flanagan ruled Dec. 8 that the state's largest public school district was in a "financial emergency" and that its inadequate response required Gov. Jennifer Granholm to appoint a financial manager.
The school board voted 8-3 on Dec. 9 to exercise its right for a hearing challenging the move.
Vol. 28, Issue 16, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA