Opening AP to All
The Duval County, Fla., district sees the courses as part of a shift to teaching more students college-level skills.
The floor in Sheri Porubski’s classroom is a minefield of backpacks. The desks are strewn with soda cans and candy wrappers. It’s lunchtime, and 20 teenagers have made this space their hangout.
Several students crowd around Ms. Porubski, asking questions about the lesson she taught in English class that morning. Others cluster around the room in twos and threes, helping one another interpret passages in...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS