State of the States
Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich (D) • Feb. 20
Gov. Blagojevich asked for lawmakers’ support in making brick-and-mortar improvements to schools, proposing a $25 billion capital-spending bill for fiscal 2009, which includes $3.8 billion for school construction in a state that has a total budget of about $58 billion. The capitalspending money would be generated by leasing 20 percent of the Illinois state lottery, while retaining 80 percent ownership, a spokeswoman for the governor said. The governor, who has had rocky relations with legislative leaders recently, also said he would support a $300- per-child tax credit for families and tax cuts for businesses. He will ask for a 3 percent cut across the board in state spending—but excluded education, health care, and public safety from the cuts.
Vol. 27, Issue 25, Page 15
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Science Teacher
- Cle Elum-Roslyn School District, Cle Elum, WA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Director of Math and Science
- Reading School District, Reading, PA
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC