State of the States
Gov. Mark Sanford (R) • Jan. 16
Under a theme of giving students more educational choices, Gov. Sanford voiced his support for the concept of scholarships or vouchers for students who attend failing schools and want to attend another public or private school, and proposed providing college aid for students who graduate from high school early. To increase the number of charter schools, the governor wants them to be able to use existing school buildings and have more options for transporting students to school. He also proposed consolidating some rural schools, but encouraging the construction of neighborhood schools. In an acknowledgment of the unfunded liability in the state’s teacher and public-employee pension system, he said the state needs to increase the amount of money to pay for promised pensions, and scale back early-retirement incentives for new employees.
Vol. 27, Issue 20, Page 19
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- Multiple Positions
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Hicksville Public Schools, Hicksville, NY