Virginia Mayor Holding on Tight to Purse Strings
Leader pressures Richmond district on spending practices.
Unlike mayors in other cities, L. Douglas Wilder says he doesn’t want control over the Richmond, Va., schools. But he does want the district to improve, and he’s using his power over the city budget to try to make sure that happens.
Mayor Wilder had been holding up nearly $5 million in payments to the school system since the middle of last month, prompting a lawsuit by the school board.
The Democrat, who served as Virginia’s governor from 1990 to 1994, has been highly critical of the district’s spending practices and had hired an outside consultant...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Portola Valley School District, Portola Valley, CA
- Roaring Fork School District, Carbondale, CO
- Chief Academic Officer
- Maryland State Department of Education, MD
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations
- Ann Arbor Public Schools, Ann Arbor, MI