News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
Spellings Addresses Conference in Israel
Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings traveled to Israel this month to take part in the seventh annual Herzliya Conference on the Balance of Israel’s National Security.
The conference, held Jan. 21-24 in Herzliya, just north of Tel Aviv, included an education-policy discussion. Ms. Spellings highlighted the role education plays in strengthening both the United States’ and Israel’s economic and national security.
“The strength of our countries depends on our ability to train capable, knowledgeable citizens who can lead us into the future,” Secretary Spellings said in a Jan. 21 speech. “Whether in Texas or Tel Aviv, today’s students must become lifelong learners who are fluent in math, science, and foreign languages, the common currencies of today’s global economies.”
The secretary also highlighted Israel’s Excellence 2000, a comprehensive science and technology education program in Israeli schools. Excellence 2000 is also used by more than 2,000 students in the United States through interactive Web-based math and science lessons.
Vol. 26, Issue 21, Page 24
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent of Schools, Linn-Mar Community School District
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Marion, IA
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC
- High School Principal, Chicago Public Schools
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- SDP, Philadelphia, PA